Sunday, July 1, 2012

Memorizing Scripture is extremely important!


Chapter Eleven:


Previously we looked at several ways one can learn  the Bible (ie, reading it, hearing it, or choosing subjects or people to study).  However, I strongly believe that the most important thing that a Christian needs to do is memorize Scripture.  If there ever comes a day that you don't have your Bible, you will already have verses memorized in your head and they will be deep in your heart. You can find great joy in memorizing the word of God if you want to become more like your Lord.  The freedom and riches that it can bring are immeasurable.



We often worry about problems in our lives and wonder how to handle them.  Memorizing the word of God can help set you free from those things that trouble you.  For example, I personally struggle with the trials and set-backs that I encounter in life.  So I decided to memorize James 1: 2-5.  I have memorized these verses and now, when I'm facing a difficult time or questioning "why, God?" I speak these verses either quietly to myself or even out loud, reminding myself that God has His reasons for what I'm going through.  It encourages me to know that the ultimate goal of it all is for me to become a stronger, more mature Christian, who is closer to God.  James tells us that we will go through many various trials, but it also gives us hope that it is all for our benefit, even if it doesn't feel like it at the time.

 I'll write down a scripture on a piece of paper or note card and carry it with me so that when I begin to worry, I'll have it close by to pull out, read and remind myself what God's word says about the situation.  It can take a while to memorize Scripture, so you may want to just start off with a few verses that will encourage you.  I have heard of some people who have memorized the entire Bible and I have such admiration for them...that took a lot of time and hard work, but it's now buried deep in their heart and no one can ever take it from them.  You may even find that when you're talking to someone who is struggling,  you'll remember  a scripture verse that can help them...this can be God's way of using you to help that person.  So, memorization isn't just for ourselves...it's also to be used to minister to others.

The Bible gives us many verses we can use for encouragement and sustaining strength whenever we face difficulties.  Ask the Lord to show you what verses He wants you to meditate on so you can do your best to live above the trials we face here on earth.  It gives us encouragement and hope that things will get better...maybe not right away, but they will eventually improve...it may take us waiting until we reach Heaven but that is such a worthy focus of our attention!  No more pain, no more tears, no more worries...just rejoicing and enjoying the presence of our Father God.


Some samples of Scriptures you can memorize for specific situations or difficulties in your life:

Difficulties with your thoughts:  Romans 12:2;   2 Corinthians 10:5;   John 8:36;  James 4:7 

Difficulties with anxiety and worry:  Matthew: 6:25, 34;  Philippians 4:6,7;   Matthew 7:11;  James 1:12;  I Peter 5:7;  Proverbs 3:5,6;  Hebrews 13:5;  Isaiah 55:9

Difficulties with anger:  Ephesians 4:26;  Colossians 3:8;  Proverbs 22: 24,25;   Galatians 6:7

Difficulties with unforgiveness:  Matthew 6:14, 15;  Ephesians 4:31,32;  Isaiah 55:7,8;  Matthew 18:25

Difficulties with bitterness: Ephesians 4:31;  Galatians 5:16;   Romans 6: 11,12

Difficulties with hurt or depression: Psalms 25:5;  Hebrews 4:15;  Matthew 12:29;  John 10:10;       Mathew 28:20

Difficulties with fear: Proverbs 29:25;  I John 4:16;  Jeremiah 29:11;  James 1: 2-5;  2 Peter 1:3;       2 Timothy 1:7;  Joshua 1:9

Difficulties with mental health:  Isaiah 26:3;  Matthew 6: 34;  Galatians 6:7;  Romans 12:2;         Philippians 2:5-8;  Philippians 4: 6-8;  Philippians 4: 11-13;  I Timothy 6: 6-8.

This may seem like a lot of time and effort, but remember...Christianity that costs nothing is worth nothing!

No comments:

Post a Comment