Monday, February 15, 2016

A must read..."The Christian in Complete Armour" by William Gurnall

Chapter Seventy-two:

When I wrote the last chapter some time ago, I felt that I had written all I was to say and was to leave this blog up on the internet for people to find and read. And that has happened and continues to happen.

However, lately I believe I am to tell you about a book that has changed not only my life, but the lives of my friends who have also begun to read this book. None of us can put it down, it so compelling of a read!

I wondered when I began reading this book why I had not heard about it sooner.  After all, it was originally written in the 17th century, and in the 1980's, David Wilkerson, author of "The Cross and the Switchblade" was so impacted by reading the original version (written in Elizabethan English), that he and a group of devoted believers re-wrote it into "a modernized abridgment", which is what I have been reading of late.  I believe I was not led to reading it sooner because I was not spiritually ready to receive and put into practice what this book presents.

David Wilkerson wrote, "The Christian in Complete Armour" should be in the library of every man and woman of God.

John Newton, author of the hymn "Amazing Grace," said, "If I might read only one book beside the Bible, I would choose The Christian in Complete Armour."

Charles Spurgeon wrote, "Gurnall's work is peerless and priceless; every line is full of wisdom; every sentence is suggestive."

 For many of my friends and myself, we believe we are living in unprecented times and this book has come into our lives for such a time as this.  I will caution you that this book is not a simple, quick read such as a novel or history book, but is a book that will demand your attention, your applying its principles and, most importantly, will demand self examination about how you are living out your Christian walk.






It is, what I like to call, a field manual for the Christian soldier.  It will challenge you to do deep self examination into how you allow your flesh to influence your life negatively.  It will teach you how the enemy will use your fleshly weaknesses as a way to find a weak spot in your spiritual armor.  It will teach you how God is our Commander in Chief and what He expects from us, and how the enemy attacks us.  But most importantly, we will be taught how we as soldiers of Christ are to conduct ourselves and prepare ourselves for battle.

If you desire to be used by God and are eager to learn more about being a warrior for Christ, I encourage you to go and buy the book titled "The Christian in Complete Armour" by William Gurnall.  If you are not comfortable reading old-style English, I would suggest that you do as I and my friends have done and buy it in the "modernized abridgement" version, which can be purchased in the full set of 3 paperbacks, or can be purchased purchased individually (Volume I, Volume II and Volume III).

The ISBN number, in the U.S.A., for the 3 volume modernized abridgement version is: 978-085151-568-7.  If you don't want to buy them as the set of 3, each book is sold individually with it's own assigned ISBN number.  A website that I have used to purchase the set for myself and to give to my friends is: www.christianbook.com.  Please note I have no affiliation whatsoever with this website, nor do I receive anything from them monetarily or otherwise.  I am only telling you about this website so you can purchase either one or all three of Gurnall's books for yourself.

As Second Timothy 2:4 reminds us, "No one serving as a soldier gets entangled in civilian affairs, but rather tries to please his commanding officer."  This book will teach you how to become that type of soldier.

After reading the 3 volume set the first time, I could understand why it was the compilation of a lifetime's work for Mr. Gurnall.  It was obviously written by a man who was writing from personal experience. God bless you as you read and implement what you read in his book.  You will be amazed at how much your walk with your Lord and Savior will change!

No comments:

Post a Comment